Wednesday, November 5, 2008

little things

So it’s about the little things.

Toilet

People here don’t believe in throwing the used toilet papers in the toilet bowl; instead they will throw into a rubbish bin. Reason being that… something abt the toilet papers here cant dissolved in water and something abt the pipe here are too small for toilet paper to pass thru… Personally, I think its super gross! But u got no choice unless u want unclogged ur toilet bowl every 2 hours.

Yet, they still have the cleanest public toilet…hmm… the irony.

Go Green

It can mean both way here, either u are supporting the ‘Green’ political party here or u are talking abt recycling. I am talking about recycling here. If u live in Taipei City, not only u need to categorized all ur rubbish, u need to wait for a specific day of which kinda rubbish you can throw… I used to hate it so much cause its such a pain! But then I realized, in order to avoid the trouble of dividing rubbish, I actually try to create less rubbish, which in a way, I am contributing my part to saving the world… muahahah…

Siesta

I was so happy at my first day of work cause I find out that my lunch time is 1 1/2 hours.. yay! But I realized there is a reason to that. Cause people here mostly have the habit of afternoon nap. So they will finish their lunch in 1 hour and come back to the office for a short nap. Which was kinda a pain for me, cause I don’t usually take afternoon nap so I wont know what to do in that half an hour (plus, they will turn off the light, so in order not to disturb my ‘roommate’, I will need to ‘play’ in the dark)… but now, I learn to take a quick nap, and even I don’t really fall asleep, it’s quite good to refresh ur mind, or at least give the poor tired eyes a rest after staring at the comp for the whole morning!

Plastic bag

This is related to the Go green topic above. In Taipei, you don’t go to a seven-eleven or Carrefour and expect that they will give you a free plastic bag after your purchase. Nope. You have to buy them. Yes, you have to buy those plastic bags that we use so freely back in M’sia. I mean, their intention is so that you will bring ur own bag and use less plastic bag as part of their Go Green project. I mean, this people have a Ministry that is dedicated solely to environmental protection. So believe me when I say they take the consumption of plastic bag issue very seriously. Oh ya… and you have to buy those specified plastic bag in Seven-eleven that is issued by the city council if you want to throw rubbish, if not the “city council rubbish truck” ( I have absolutely no idea what are they called as) will refuse to collect ur rubbish -________-

Lottery

How many of u really keep all of your receipt, other then for tax return purpose? Well, I will advise you to keep all ur receipt if you are here, because that could be your ticket to all your wildest dream come true! Every receipt that you get it from any shop, it will have a serial number, and every 2 months time, they will have a lucky draw and the winner will get money… LOTS of money… its like our TOTO… just that u don’t pay for the numbers… of coz, the process of winning is much complicated, as I cant really be bother, i dont really know the details to it… but anyway, the reason behind this is to ensure all the business/company here to issue receipt so that they can avoid tax…or something like that…:p

Of coz there is more interesting things to share here… but that’s all for now LA (long time never say LA adi)… maybe will have a part II soon, no promise though...hehe... :p

3 comments:

Julia said...

that's interesting!! Little things do play an important part in the bigger scheme of things!

on a separate note, Obama won!!!

Tania said...

haha i know!!! did blog abt that too :P in a more subtle way... but people here seems to be more indifferent abt it...maybe cause its a country of one race only, so they probably dont really get the significant of it...this is my hunble opinion la.. :P

Sheryl0202 said...

interesting to know babe! Thanks for the info!